ABOUT

A COMMUNITY OF MISSIONARIES

OUR STORY

Mission Church is a part of the Church of the Nazarene. The mission of the Church of the Nazarene is to make Christ-like disciples in all nations. We strive to express the grace and compassion of Jesus Christ to all persons, along with our personal commitment to Christ-like living. As a church, we are actively called to participate in the ministry of Jesus Christ — reconciling the world to himself.

Mission Church has been a part of the San Diego community since September 1914. The church was started when a group of Jesus followers from First Church of the Nazarene in San Diego started a Sunday school class in the eastern part of the city called East San Diego Nazarene Sunday school. The goal was to create a community that would reach and serve more people in San Diego.

The group continued to grow as they built a building on the corner of University Avenue and 41st street and became established as University Avenue Church in January 1915. The church remained in this location until 1978 when the church purchased a plot of land to develop into what would become Mission Valley Church of the Nazarene. The new construction was completed and celebrated in 1983.

In all of the Church’s history, Mission Church of the Nazarene has never been defined by the space it occupies, but by the call to be missionaries to our community. In 2008, the church voted to change the name to Mission Church of the Nazarene as a reflection of our missional philosophy. The church has had the opportunity to help establish other new churches in the San Diego area as well as produced missionaries called to serve around the globe.

We invite you to join us!

SEEK | SERVE | REACH

cropped-M_Favicon.png
 
NAVIGATION
CONNECT
SERVICE TIMES

Sundays at 9:00AM, 10:45AM, & 6:00PM
4750 Mission Gorge Pl, San Diego, CA 92120